6 Changes


With the new year almost upon us, I thought about some resolutions I might make. There have been years that I thought "screw those", I usually become irresolute sometime in late January as the majority of people do. But there is a optimism this time of year that we can start anew. I know that I have been successful some of the time. But I continue to search for a way to make the changes into habits that will last.

I have been following Leo Babauta of Zen Habits for about the last six months via Twitter. I subscribe to how he is attempting to live his life with simplicity. I strive to do the same in my own unique fashion. Leo has started a new site called 6 Changes. It guides you to make 6 changes next year and by following his method, make them stick.

I am excited to work his method! One of the major things that Leo talks about is that you must commit to focusing on each goal for two months and to do it publicly.

So "my" public, here it is. The first of my goals.

1. Exercising regularly. Switching my workouts to mornings, except for classes at the gym that I enjoy.

(A little background for all of you...I span from excellent to very good to making every excuse in the book not to work out. I have come a long way from the couch potato I used to be, but I still lose my focus, lose my routine, etc. So these changes are to prioritize my workouts...making them one of the first things in my day because they are so important...and to set the habit for life!)

Week 1: Spend the first week progressively waking up 20 minutes earlier.
Week 2: Spend that twenty minutes doing my yoga DVD.
Week 3: Add 10 minutes, so I'm up half an hour earlier that I need to get ready.
Week 4: Make it to the gym at least one of those days in the morning.
Week 5: Add an additional day at the gym.
Week 6: Add an additional day at the gym.
Week 7: Add a non-yoga workout at home.
Week 8: Add a non-yoga workout at home.

Habit: Yoga 2 days a week, weight training or NEWO (No Excuse Workout) at home 2 days, gym 3 days. Do not lose Zumba classes in the evenings plus add one spin class a week. Train for Bike the Drive!

Leo's method talks about starting out very simply, which is why you'll see me just getting up earlier the first week. I hope those of you reading this blog will cheer me on and keep me accountable with your comments.

I already have change #2 on paper with a plan and am working on 3 - 6. I hope to have those on paper by the end of the weekend.

Leo also talks about building the anticipation of the start of the habit, sending the message that it is "important and serious". This is so contrary to everything I've been taught. So I must admit it's a bit difficult. But to be honest, I do have my hands full with just writing out the habits and steps at the moment. So you can expect my "launch" date to be Monday, January 4th. Life (post holidays) gets back to normal that day. I figure that is the best time to try and establish a routine.

I hope to see you all here, kicking my butt, helping to keep me in line and focused. Back to report soon...


0 comments:

Copyright 2009 Procrastination Station. All rights reserved.
Free WPThemes presented by Leather luggage, Las Vegas Travel coded by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy